Tuesday, March 20, 2012

# 22: Strummin' that Ol' Guitar

So I had my friend re-string that ol' guitar (say in a thick southern slur) and decided to get a start on this list of mine.
Learning how to play the guitar is NOT easy. Not like I thought that it was going to be. I decided to start off simple, or at least I thought, and I am trying to "re-learn" a song that I taught myself how to play about 15 years ago... yeah, I teach kids that old... It is almost as if I never picked up a guitar in my life. I mean what do I expect after a whole teen's life of neglect.
There are a few obstacles that I have to overcome, one being that I found out that any rhythm that I MAY have had in band when I was in Junior High... is gone...  and that singing WHILE playing an instrument thing is not as simple as Taylor Swift makes it look.
I find that I can only stand to play for about 10 minutes before I get frustrated and decide that I am the most talentless person in existence... sometimes this is followed by another 10 minutes of me guiltily glancing at my discarded guitar on the foot of my bed and then another 10 minutes of attempting a "G" chord which begins the cycle ALL over again... I might be bad at rhythm, but I am really good at cycles.
I have joined forces with the talented Mr. Calvino, who has agreed to become master teacher and give me a few pointers on the art of strumming... so that I can figure out what to do with the three chords that I have learned in a week. I AM the next Taylor Swift... well at least in my dreams!


See the list here: http://pammyfranny.blogspot.com/2012/03/loomin-bloomin-30.html

No comments: